So much for a great idea. My drape/cover began showing signs of the color bleeding through, so I traded it for a towel. One of my daughters told me that it is a board by the root definition.
As I may have mentioned earlier, my working space is limited. The ironing board I bought was a small, tabletop variety. It was unsuitable at the outset, but I thought I had to make it do. However, after studying a homebrew ironing board posted last week I realized I could fabricate something that would better utilize my space. It didn’t have to be fancy, nor did it have to dissipate large numbers of BTUs.
A year ago last Christmas I fabricated a wooden ride-around truck for a friend’s young great-grandson. After I was finished I had an extra chunk of 3/4″ plywood stored beneath my workbench. That and the backside of a throwaway drape became something entire different from their intended purposes – a very portable ironing board that can stand in the corner, as it were, when it’s not in use.
I began quilting, straight-line, making 2″ squares. All was well until I reached midway right to left. About 8″ from the left border the pressed foot began pushing a wave of fabric and when I reached the end of the stitch line there was no place for this extra material to go but under the presser foot and needle and narrowing the width of the border.
Are there any suggestions as how I can ovoid this short quilting by hand with a thread and needle?
I would share a photo, but it’s too ugly to publish.😱
I picked the stitching and discovered the top fabric had stretched, at the seams, I assume. Here is a photo of how much larger the top is than the bottom, the bottom being the blue. If you need a better photo I’ll see what I can do about lighting. Thanks for your help.
I had to rip it all out and start anew. I think it’s ready for the binding.
Yesterday evening – 22 January 16 – the Air Force responded in regard to my inquiry about a license to use the current logo. They sent me a 17 page application totally unrelated to the simple life of a beginning quilter.
Scratch the flag.
While building my crazy quilt a scrap at a time, I’m in the planning stages of making an Air Force flag. I’m unable to secure permission to use the Air Force logo. Because the folks owning the copyright don’t respond I’m going to do the words only on a blue field. I’m still in a quandary as to how best to do a first class job. So I dragging my feet and spinning my wheels.
Fortunately, I have quilting support at home, but Barb doesn’t object to my purchase from the remnant bin now and then. In addition, our oldest daughter has more than once purchased colorful shirts from yard sales which I’ve used liberally. Goodwill is also a resource.
I’m doing crazy quilting because my cutting and piecing skills are still somewhat limited. And from the guidelines I’ve read I don’t piece those odd shapes together correctly.
Oh well, I’ve been unconventional most of my life.
Displayed below are a number of odd-shaped blocks that await additional pieces that will eventually make them into 9″ x 9″ blocks.